Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I hope we can help each other endure the pain of the addiction of a daughter or son.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Lucky Break

It turns out that going to the hospital was the best thing. They did not give her narcotics. They found a urinary tract infection into the kidneys and a bad case of flew. She was given antibiotics, tamilflu and some kind of a strong anti-inflamatory for her back pain. The Dr. did not think that most of this pain was from sciatica or anything orthopedic. He thinks it is from the flu and kidney infection. At any rate it was Smitty the director of the half-way house who checked for fever and sent her with a worker to the hospital. That was a great move because both of those conditions would have gotten worse if not treated.


That being said, The Delray Beach Medical center staff treated me like a piece of dirt. They would not give me information about her eventhough I had a power of attorney and she had signed a hipa form with me on it.  She kept calling me about every two hours still in pain. The nurses would not explain what was going on with her to her or me. From 11 in the morning till 11 at night we were not given any explanation.

It was only this morning that I got her doctor to talk to me after faxing my power of attorney to the head nurse on attached to letterhead from my husband's law firm. He spent 5 good minutes with me. At which point I agreed with everything and had no need to call again.

She thought that she had swine flew because they were testing her for it. She did not. But they did have her in isolation with a mask so I can understand her confusion.

They never told her or she did not understand that the urinary tract infection was in her kidneys so she thought the pain was from her back and scoliosis etc.

I feel much relieved. Thanks to all of you for your comments.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Anna,

    Dealing with medical center staffs can be so frustrating. My heart goes out to you. I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big sigh of releif that she got a diagnosis and is on the way to being well. Kindney infections definitely make the back ache! I don't like the way they treated you or your daughter, they should have been explaining to her what was going on and why they were doing what they were doing. The nurses attending to Anthony talked to him and told him what they were doing even when he was totally knocked out!

    I'm glad they sent her to the hospital. One more drama dealth with :) Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I'm so glad she went in and they found the cause of the pain and fever. What a relief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank God she went to the hospital. I'm glad she's got the proper medications for the infection (painful!!!) and to take care of her kidneys. I guess rest and fluids will get her over the flu. Hang in there! It's good you can be with her.

    ReplyDelete